PICKS OF THE WEEK - Aug, 5, 2020
- DEATH METAL: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHTS: This comic cavalcade from DC’s most celebrated creators shows Batman at his bloodcurdling worst in this gruesome one shot set to scratch that sinister itch if you’ve been keeping up with the Death Metal event. The book runs the gamut of lunacy and lunatics as it covers the origins of more Batmen turned bad in more terrifying ways than you could comprehend. From the B-Rex to the sentient Bat-mobile, that would give kit from Knight rider a run a for its money, there is something for any fan who likes their horror with a dash of comedy. And there is one twisted Batman concoction that opens the floodgates to what is possible in the DC Universe and how terrifyingly grim the future looks for our heroes. There are some great multiverse stories for any interested in the macabre, villains or the craziest mash-ups you’d never thought you’d see that DC is brave enough to publish with these creepy tales from under the cowl of the Batman who laughs.
- EMPYRE #4: Marvel’s big summer event takes a turn as all the power players and pieces begin to shift into a dire situation as the Chlorophyll infused cruelties of the Cotati comes into focus. Betrayals and back stabbing are a bound in this issue as the Avengers and the Fantastic Four have their backs against the wall with their alliances tested and ticking time bomb about to go off. Ewing and Slott’s story is starting to reach critical mass and the last page of the story will be a cool surprise with a moment that will leave fans of the Young Avengers gasping and cheering. Schiti’s art is on point as he draws the action and tension with flare and finesse that get all the little emotions and reactions of the power players spot on with style. Keep this event on your radar because it’s a bombastic blast with all your favorite characters teaming up for what is sure to be one epic conclusion that may tip the cosmic scales in the Marvel Universe.
- ICE CREAM MAN #20: Ya know, Just a little something for the kids in another fantastic, bone chilling issue this week from the masters of horror W. Maxwell Prince and Martin Morazzo. This issue does an incredible job of parodying your favorite children’s stories and turns them inside out for some disturbing nightmares to make your hair stand on end. From the works of Dr. Seuss to The Giving Tree, all bets are off when Prince grabs hold of these stories and makes them into twisted tales that will make nauseous and nervous until the final frame. Morazzo’s art is a pure tour deforce with his style changing from his traditional, Frank Quietly-esque pencils to a complete reproduction of the of the stories he riffs off of. This is what makes the issue so special, He takes you down a trip a trip on memory lane that you would never ever wanted to go on in the first place. And yet, you can’t look away. If you read ‘Legends of the Dark Knights’ and still can’t get enough terror in your reading then pick up this issue to fulfill your darkest childhood fears come to life.
PICKS OF THE WEEK - June 17, 2020
- DEATH METAL #1: DC’s newest METAL event kicks off with a bang! Scott Snyder still has a slew tricks up his sleeve with the huge mythology he’s been building and he is showing NOTHING is off limits for this one. Snyder pits Wonder Woman as the last bastion of truth and justice in a universe taken over by the Batman who laughs. With the aid of some former Leaguers and a cool callback to a past event, it’s up to them to right the wrongs and light up the dark one last time. But the issue really is worth the price of admission for Capullo’s dynamite pencils and Glapion’s dynamic colors flooding the world with horror. DC turns the absurdity and action up to 11 with this debut issue and does not hold back on the carnage and mayhem. Snyder is taking no prisoners when it comes to the multiverse and makes sure that no character from whichever reality is safe in this face melting event from DC.
- WYND #1: This one may catch you by surprise but James Tynion IV really excels with his original content. Wynd is a charming adventure about an elf like creature trying to get by in a society prejudiced against his kind. It sounds much heavier than it appears but, that’s what gives the story its weight while Michael Dialynas’ art makes it all feel as light as a feather. The characters are offbeat, intriguing, and diverse playing off each other so well that Tynion IV makes you really want to see how the world he’s building and it’s mysteries unravel around the various lenses of his main cast. If you want something light, breezy and in every sense colorful, pick up Wynd.
Our latest variant with Francesco Mattina is for Dark Nights Metal 2!
Did we mistype? No! It's Dark Nights Metal 2 Mattina! We missed this the first time around so we are taking advantage of a reprint to give everyone chance to collect a full set of Metal 1 - 6 by Francesco Mattina. He has went above and beyond on this series. Every cover is him at the top of the game. This cover was originally a prelim for issue 3, that we passed on. We went back and had him complete the art since we felt it must be shared for issue 2. Scott Snyder has stated issue 2 is the first appearance of the Batman Who Laughs. The market is currently saying Teen Titans 12 due to the cover appearance. Only time will tell. We are excited to present our latest cover!
Check back with us soon for Dark Nights Metal 6 Francesco Mattina Variant. We got the prelim today and it is incredible.
This is the latest variant for Dark Nights Metal 5 Francesco Mattina from Golden Apple Comics. Metal 4 featuring the Batman Who Laughs sold out of both the homage and virgin books very fast. If you want to get on a special email list for Metal 5 please contact us at email@example.com. This book will go on sale December 17, 2017.
Dark Nights Metal 4 Francesco Mattina went on sale last Friday. We are officially sold out of the sets of 3 and the CGC 9.8 virgin.
Did you miss the sale? Contact us now at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on a special email list and get the latest updates first on upcoming projects, new books, sales and more. Dark Nights Metal 5 and 6 is coming up and we have more amazing Francesco Mattina covers in the works. Contact us today you don't want to miss them.
Golden Apple Comics still has the standard trade dress with METAL logo available for $12.95 and a few CGC 9.8 homage trade dress for $99.95
Color Trade LTD 3000
Homage Trade LTD 600
Virgin LTD 600
We also have a very limited number of Dark Nights Metal 5 Gabriele Dell'Otto available for sale.
Dark Nights Metal has been an amazing series. Francesco Mattina has been on fire with covers for Metal 1 and 3. The Batman Who Laughs cover for issue 3 was some of his best work yet and sold out very fast!
Metal 4 has even more smiling faces on it!